Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Jerusalem (July 9, 2020)
Location: West Bank
Event: COVID-19 – PA Extends West Bank Lockdown Until July 13
The Palestinian Authority (PA) declared an extension of the current lockdown in the West Bank for five additional days, through July 13, in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19. During the lockdown, all institutions and businesses will be closed except for supermarkets, pharmacies, and bakeries. Movement of people between areas within the West Bank and between the West Bank and Israel will also be curtailed or limited. Banks will continue to operate in line with emergency procedures. Local emergency committees in all governorates will be immediately activated to ensure public compliance with safety measures. Non-compliance with safety measures could result in fines, business closure, or imprisonment. The latest information can be found (in Arabic only) on the PA Ministry of Health website at http://site.moh.ps/index/index/Language/ar.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to follow the latest advice from U.S. and local authorities to reduce the spread of COVID-19. For the most recent information on reducing the risk of contracting COVID-19, please consult the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html.
Actions to Take:
- Encourage all U.S. citizens to enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Visit the Internal Revenue Service Coronavirus Tax Relief site for the most up-to-date information regarding economic impact payments and other tax information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Information about local conditions related to COVID-19 is also available from the U.S. Embassy in Jordan and the U.S. Embassy in Egypt.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
State Department – Consular Affairs
Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Country Information
Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Travel Advisory
Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates