Location: Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza
Event: COVID-19 – New Israeli COVID-19 Restrictions Effective Today
The Government of Israel announced the following new COVID-related restrictions, scheduled to take effect at 5:00 p.m. today (Friday, July 17, 2020).
General restrictions (seven days a week, effective at 5:00 p.m. today, Friday, July 17):
- Closure of gyms and studios for exercise or dance, except for use by competitive athletes, as defined in the order.
- Restaurants and eateries – takeaway and delivery only, no on-site seating.
- Restaurants and eateries in hotels – The number of people present will be limited to 35% of the maximum number allowed in order to permit the continued operation of the hotel.
Weekend restrictions (to take effect from 5:00 p.m. on Fridays until 5:00 a.m. on Sunday):
- There will be no restriction on leaving one’s home.
- During the weekend, being on beaches shall be prohibited (except for this weekend, July 17-18, when beaches shall remain open).
- During the weekend, stores, malls, open-air markets, hair salons/barbershops, beauty parlors, libraries, petting zoos, museums and display spaces, pools, tourist attractions, and cable cars shall be closed.
Please note: This restriction shall not apply to stores providing essential services: Places for the sale of food, pharmacies and stores most business of which is the sale of hygiene products, opticians and labs for the repair of communications devices.
This restriction shall not apply to swimming pools at hotels that are designated for hotel guests only in order to allow hotels to provide the main ancillary services to their guests, during weekends as well).
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should register in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Visit the Internal Revenue Service Coronavirus Tax Relief site for the most up-to-date information regarding economic impact payments and other tax information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Information about local conditions related to COVID-19 is also available from the U.S. Embassy in Jordan and the U.S. Embassy in Egypt.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Jerusalem
14 David Flusser St.
U.S. Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv
71 HaYarkon St.
State Department – Consular Affairs
Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Country Information
Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Travel Advisory
Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter