Location: Jerusalem and Tel Aviv
Event: Demonstration Alert
Over the last few weeks, there has been a marked increase in demonstrations in both Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Based on media reports, demonstrations will continue to occur, some with little or no warning. Embassy personnel have been advised to maintain situational awareness and avoid large crowds, as demonstrations have the potential to quickly escalate and become volatile. Recent demonstrations have resulted in property damage, injuries to police, and multiple arrests. Israeli National Police are closely monitoring the situation and will close roads, highways, and major interchanges out of an abundance of caution.
The Embassy strongly encourages U.S. citizens to remain vigilant and take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness, as security incidents often take place without warning.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists
- Review your personal security plans
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible
- Avoid all demonstrations
- Monitor local media
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you in an emergency.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Advisories (including the Travel Advisory for Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza) and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country Information for Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. For additional information, refer to “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- U.S. Embassy Jerusalem
14 David Flusser St.
- U.S. Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv
71 HaYarkon St.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Country Information
- Israel, West Bank, and Gaza Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter