- Avoid Getting Arrested Overseas
- If You Are Arrested Overseas or Know a U.S. Citizen Who Is
- Consular Assistance to U.S. Prisoners
Avoid getting arrested overseas by:
- Following the laws and regulations of the country you are visiting or living in.
Learning about laws there which might be different from the laws in the United States. We provide some information for each country on our Country Information pages. For further information on laws within the foreign country before you go, contact that country’s nearest embassy or consulate within the United States.https://il.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/arrest-of-a-u-s-citizen/if-you-are-arrested-overseas-or-know-a-u-s-citizen-who-is/
If you are arrested overseas or know a U.S. citizen who is:
- Ask the prison authorities to notify the U.S. embassy.
- You may also wish to reach out to the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem or the Branch Office in Tel Aviv to let us know of the arrest.