A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a U.S. citizenship document for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.  Click here for additional information regarding various scenarios for acquisition of citizenship depending on the citizenship of the parents and their marital status at the time of birth.

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. 

Eligibility Requirements

To apply for a CRBA your child must have been born in Israel, the West Bank, or Gaza and you must travel to the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem or the Embassy Branch Office in Tel Aviv for the in-person interview.

To be eligible to apply for a CRBA online, you MUST answer all the following criteria with YES.C

  1. Was the child born in Israel, the West Bank, or Gaza?
  2. Is the child under the age of 18?
  3. Was at least one parent a U.S. citizen or U.S. non-citizen national when the child was born?
  4. Can you use an internationally accepted credit/debit card or a direct payment method from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”) to pay online for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad application?
  5. Are you a biological parent of a child born abroad who is applying for that child?

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you MUST apply by completing a paper application (DS-2029). 

How to Apply

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at Embassy Jerusalem and Embassy Branch Office Tel Aviv!  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.*


  • To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  • Once you have created a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing this checklist.
  • Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. Please do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the time of your appointment. If you are unable to find an available appointment immediately after finishing the eCRBA application, please note that we release CRBA appointments every Wednesday between 3-4PM for the following week.
  • Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your originaldocuments and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.

Need Help?

We are here to help!

 Other Important Information

Note:  If you prefer to submit a paper-based application, please follow post procedures.  

*Passport applications and Social Security Card applications must be completed and submitted separately at the time of your CRBA appointment.  Payment for a passport application must be made at the time of the interview and cannot be made online.