Citizenship Services

All in-person American Citizen Services are by appointment only.
No walk-ins are permitted.
It is free to make an appointment.
Some services are available through the mail; please see below for more details.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:  The Consular Sections at the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem and the U.S. Embassy Branch Office in Tel Aviv are currently providing the maximum number of in-person appointments possible, in line with the U.S. and Israeli governments’ public health and safety guidance. We are continuing to conduct emergency services, to assist those with routine cases at appointments booked through our website, and to provide mail-in services. We face significant demand for our services and capacity limitations, and we thank you for your patience and understanding during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

To renew a 10-year adult passport:
If your current passport is a 10-year passport, was issued within the last 15 years, and is undamaged, you must renew your passport by mail. We cannot make an appointment for someone who is eligible to use form DS-82 to renew their U.S. passport, and they may not make an appointment on our website. Appointments are only available for services that cannot be completed through the mail or commercial courier. If you make an appointment for a service which you are eligible to do by mail, we will require you to mail your application in. The time from when we receive your application by mail to return delivery is generally four to five weeks. Information on applying for a passport through the mail is available here

To apply for a 5-year minor passport, obtain your first 10-year adult passport, or renew an adult passport that was issued more than 15 years ago:
You are not eligible to renew by mail and must make an appointment on our website. Non-emergency appointments must be booked on-line and cannot be booked by email or telephone. You may set your appointment by clicking here

To replace a limited validity passport (one-year emergency passport) with a full validity passport:
Both minors and adults must use mail-in services to replace any undamaged, unexpired limited validity passport, using form DS-5504. For minors, if the limited validity passport has already expired, please follow the instructions above to book an appointment online. For adults, if the limited validity passport has already expired, you must still submit by mail, but use form DS-82. Please follow the instructions here 

To obtain a consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) and a passport for a minor with no prior proof of citizenship:
To make an appointment for a CRBA and a first passport for a minor born outside the United States, please follow the instructions here

Emergency Passports

If you have an urgent need to travel due to a medical emergency or death/serious illness of an immediate family member, and require an emergency passport, please write to the appropriate consular office with proof of and reason for travel: or

In your email, you must include:

  • Confirmed travel itinerary with confirmation/ticket number 
  • Documentation of the emergency (typically a hospital or police report)  
  • Scanned copy of the bio page of all passports needing renewal

Once approved, emergency passports are printed and given to applicants on the same day as the appointment.

The Embassy requires that applicants bring photocopies of their passports, other necessary IDs, and all relevant documents to their appointment.
Please note that no other in-person services, such as notary services or renunciations, are available at this time.


Welcome to the website of the American Citizen Services Units at the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem and the Embassy Branch Office in Tel Aviv.  We provide information and assistance to U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.  The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit at Embassy Jerusalem is closed on Thursdays, and ACS Tel Aviv is closed on Fridays. Visits are by appointment only.

Which service do you need?