Obtaining an official report of death of a U.S. Citizen

  1. Obtaining an official report of death of a U.S. Citizen
  2. Information on burial and on shipping the remains of U.S. citizen

We are so sorry for your loss.  To request a Consular Report of Death Abroad of a U.S. citizen who has died in Israel, the West Bank, or Gaza, please mail us or drop off the following documents:

  • The original death certificate issued by the Israeli Ministry of Interior (Misrad HaPnim) or the Palestinian Authority Ministry of Interior.  This document does not need to be translated into English.
  • The Notice of Death issued at the hospital.  When available, this document includes the cause of death.
  • The U.S. passport of the deceased (for proof of citizenship);
  • Social Security card or number of the deceased, if applicable;
  • The completed Report of Death form, found here: https://il.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/CRODA-questionnaire.pdf

We are not receiving walk-ins, so you can either use the Drop Box in Jerusalem, or mail the items above to the addresses in the Contact Information box.

Upon completion of the Consular Report of Death Abroad, we will forward up to 20 copies of the Report of Death via one of the following methods:  registered mail, courier service (for which there is a fee), or pick up.  The two courier services we use are Israel Post Courier and Aramex.  Courier services currently charge approximately NIS50 upon delivery of documents.  Payment will be made directly with the courier company.  Please do not send cash to the Embassy for the courier fee.

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at the Embassy can be contacted about Social Security issues regarding the death of a U.S. citizen at FBU.Jerusalem@ssa.gov.

PLEASE NOTE:  Upon receipt of all documents at the Consular Section, processing and mailing takes about four to five weeks.

If you have any questions, please use our online inquiry system 

Requesting Additional Copies

Requests for additional copies of a Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad must be made in writing to the U.S. Department of State.