Criminal Records Check

  1. Emergency Preparedness
  2. Accountants
  3. Criminal Records Check

U.S. citizens living abroad are frequently asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons, including adoption, school enrollment, immigration, and employment.  U.S. embassies and consulates do not provide such documents, nor do they generally take fingerprints.  Please see the Department of State’s website for additional information on criminal record checks for U.S. citizens.

The Consular Section does not provide “certificates of good conduct” or registration letters for U.S. citizens who are applying to immigrate to Israel.  .

Go to your local police department where you reside or last resided in the United States, request that the police conduct a local or state criminal records search and provide you with a document reflecting that there is no history of a criminal record.  Local police departments may require your personal appearance in order to conduct the search.  You should determine whether the country you intend to use the records check requires that it be authenticated.  For information on that process please see the State Department’s authentications page.

An Identity History Summary—often referred to as a criminal history record or a “rap sheet”—is a listing of certain information taken from fingerprint submissions kept by the FBI and related to arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service.  U.S. embassies and consulates cannot provide this service.  For more information, see the FBI’s website:

Request a police certificate from the FBI

The U.S. Embassy does not provide fingerprinting services unless we require it for a consular service.  In order to have your fingerprints taken, you must take a fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency or private investigator to request this service.  Fingerprint cards can be downloaded from the FBI’s website:  Finger Print Card.  The FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.

We are unable to recommend a particular company to do fingerprinting.  You may wish to contact a private investigator, private security company, or local law enforcement to see if they offer this service.