Passport Services

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:  In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Consular Sections at the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem and the U.S. Embassy Branch Office in Tel Aviv are providing a limited number of appointments. Availability of appointments is subject to change as we respond to the guidance provided by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and the Israeli Ministry of Health.

The health and safety of those who work at and visit our embassy facilities is our highest priority. Thank you for your patience and understanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.  

We will resume routine services as soon as possible, but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

All eligible passport renewal applicants must apply for full validity passports by mail.  The time from when we receive your application by mail to return delivery is generally four to five weeks.  Information on applying for a passport through the mail is available here:  

Minors cannot apply for a passport renewal via mail.

If you are not eligible to apply for a full validity passport by mail, then you may request a passport appointment.  You may set your appointment by clicking here:

Emergency Passports

If you have an urgent need to travel due to a medical emergency or death/serious illness of an immediate family member, and require an emergency passport, please write to the appropriate consular office with proof of and reason for travel to: or

In your email, you must include:

  • Confirmed travel itinerary with confirmation/ticket number 
  • Documentation of the emergency (typically a hospital or police report)  
  • Scanned copy of the bio page of all passports needing renewal

Once approved, emergency passports are printed and given to applicants on the same day as the appointment.

The Embassy strongly suggests that applicants bring their own photocopies to their appointment. 

We strongly recommend that you renew your passport early so that you will not need an emergency passport. The time from which we receive your application by mail to return delivery is generally four to five weeks. 

Please be aware that emergency passport issuance is not guaranteed. 

Emergency passports are intended for U.S. citizens who need to travel immediately to the United States due to an unexpected incident or for U.S. citizen tourists whose passports were lost or stolen during their travels abroad.

U.S. Citizens can receive the same passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services at both the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem and the Embassy Branch Office in Tel Aviv, regardless of where they reside.  We encourage you to check the calendars of both facilities to identify a date for your appointment.  We open additional appointments when we have cancellations.  If no appointments are available, please check again regularly. Appointments may open up suddenly.

Please note: The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit at Embassy Jerusalem is closed on Thursdays, and ACS Tel Aviv is closed on Fridays. Please click here for a list of other scheduled Embassy and Branch Office closures.


Welcome to the first-time passport page. Use the links below to see instructions for the service you need.  Appointments are required for all passport services at the Embassy. If you have had a U.S. passport in the past, see Renewals.

Welcome to the passport renewal page. Use the links above to see instructions for the service you need.  Appointments are required for all passport services. If you have never had a U.S. passport before, see First-time Passport.

Report Your Lost or Stolen Passport Online

You may now electronically submit form DS-64 to report your passport lost or stolen! Simply click here to get started.

When you are ready to replace your passport, make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem OR make an appointment at the Branch Office in Tel Aviv. You will not be required to submit a form DS-64 during your appointment if you have already submitted the form online.

If your passport has been lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to help protect yourself against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport. Passports reported lost or stolen are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

Replacing a lost or stolen U.S. passport requires an in-person appointment. All applicants must make an appointment online and appear in person to replace a lost or stolen passport.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.  


Adult Passport Card     $30

Minor Passport Card   $15

You can apply for or renew your passport card when you apply for a passport book, or you may schedule an appointment online

Processing time for a passport card is about 3 weeks.