Damaged passport

If your passport has been significantly damaged, especially the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for a new passport.  If your U.S. passport is damaged, you must apply for a new passport in person. Appointments are required for this service.

Note: Your damaged U.S passport is not proof of citizenship or identity.

Bring all of the following documents to your appointment.  Arriving prepared will save you time and help you complete the process in just one visit.

  1. Your damaged U.S. passport. For security reasons, damaged passports may be retained by our office.
  2. Valid, government-issued photo I.D. (such as foreign passport, driving license or military I.D)
  3. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.  Your damaged U.S passport is not proof of citizenship. Such evidence may include but is not limited to: U.S. birth or naturalization certificate, Report of Birth Abroad or an expired, undamaged U.S. passport.
  4. Photo: One 2 inch x 2 inch / 5cm x 5cm square passport photo taken within the last six months.
  5. A signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport book.
  6. Form DS-11
    Complete the DS-11 form online and print or
    * Print the DS-11 form and complete by hand (PDF 101KB)

Gather the required documents listed above and follow the instructions for a First-time Passport

Conditions that may constitute damage requiring you to replace your passport include water damage, a significant tear, unofficial markings on the data page, missing visa pages (torn out), a hole punch, or other injuries, especially if the damage affects the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo.

Normal wear of a U.S. passport is expected and likely does not constitute “damage.”  For instance normal wear includes the bend of a passport after being carried in your back pocket or fanning of the visa pages after extensive opening and closing.