Exchange a limited-validity passport for full-validity

We strongly encourage you to exchange your limited-validity emergency passport for a new, full-validity passport as soon as possible.  If you do so within one year of the issuance of the emergency passport, you will not be charged another passport application fee.  Otherwise, you will need to submit a new application and pay all applicable fees. 

The simplest way to replace your limited-validity passport with a full-validity passport is by mail or by drop box.  You may renew your passport by mail or by drop box if your most recent U.S. passport meets all of the following requirements:

  • Was issued less than 12 months ago (even if the passport is now expired); and
  • Does not have any endorsement on page 11 stating “A full validity passport must be approved by the Department of State.”

If you DO NOT meet the above requirements, please refer to our in-person renewal instructions.