Additional Requirements for Minors

For minors (under age 16), you must also bring the following:  

1.Proof of Parental Relationship:
You must submit evidence that lists you as the parents of the child applying for a passport.  Original documents are required.  Notarized copies are unacceptable.  Bring one photocopy.

  • Birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or
  • Adoption decree with adoptive parents’ names 
  1. Two-Parent Consent
    U.S. law requires signatures of both parentsor the child’s legal guardians, prior to issuance of a U.S. passport to children under the age of 16.  The best way to do this is for both parents/guardiansto attend the appointment with the child to apply for the passport.

If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent.”  You must submit the original, completed, signed, dated, and notarized form (along with a copy of the ID presented to the notary) with the child’s passport application.  The parent who cannot go with the child must:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public, and
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053. 
  1. Valid, government-issued photo IDs for the parents, such as:
    Original documents are required. Notarized copies are unacceptable.  Bring one photocopy.
  • Foreign passport
  • Driver’s license
  • National identity card with photograph or
  • Military I.D with photograph