Social Security

Last updated June, 23 2020

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy Jerusalem. Due to public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Israel and the West Bank. operations in the Federal Benefits Unit may be limited, however, we will typically respond to your inquiries within 5 business days. We respectfully request that you avoid sending multiple emails, as this may cause further delays.

FBU Claims representatives from offices in Athens Greece, Naples and Rome Italy, may contact Israeli and West Bank applicants to assist with applications and inquiries. If you are not certain the person contacting you is a Social Security representative, please email us their name and/or contact information for verification, using the FBU inquiry link below. The most efficient method of reaching the FBU Jerusalem is by using the On Line Inquiry Form. Please visit for more Social Security information.

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) administers federal benefit programs for residents of Israel and the West Bank from the following federal agencies: Social Security Administration, Department of Veteran Affairs, Office of Personnel Management, Department of Labor, and Railroad Retirement Board.

Have a Question? Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions. At the US Embassy Israel

Please read the FAQs page, as most answers are available online.  If your question is not answered

under the links below, please use our On Line Inquiry Form

Applying for your initial Social Security card (any age), replacement card, and change of name; applicants must schedule an online appointment at either Jerusalem FBU office or at Embassy Tel Aviv Branch office by booking an appointment HERE. NOTE:  We are unable to accommodate walk-in applicants.  There is no fee for this service.    

If you wish to visit the FBU Jerusalem for any other reason in person, you must complete the On Line Inquiry Form and our staff will contact you to schedule the appropriate appointment.

An appointment signifies the time when an applicant should appear at the Embassy’s public entrance for security screening; applicants should plan to spend at least an hour at the Embassy. Visitors are not allowed to bring weapons, cell phones, laptops, tablets, and similar electronic devices onto the premises. Visitors carrying unauthorized objects will not be granted entry.

Original Social Security Cards

For individual’s age 12 years of age and older applying for an original number, an in-person interview is required and applicants must submit additional documentation in order to verify residence outside of the United States from the date when the applicant departed the United States.    Such documentation includes school transcripts, school records, driver’s licenses, employment records, marriage certificate, etc.  If the U.S. citizen was born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) and never lived in the United States, SSA may require additional documentation.  You can schedule your appointment HERE.  Please refer to for information about the documentation required.

Social Security Card Replacement or Correction

In order to obtain a replacement social security card or change your name on your social security number, you must first complete the social security number application Form, SS-5 FS.  All applications for SSNs, whether original, replacement, or for a name or data change, use the same form, SS-5 FS.  Page 2 of Form SS-5 FS provides the required evidence requirements for an original number, replacement social security card, change of name or data change.  Please also refer to for information about the required documentation.

Other Federal Benefits Services

If you wish to report a change in your address, add/change direct deposit, report a death or any other changes, or to file a claim for benefits, you can submit these requests through our Online Contact Form.