Supporting Documents

Frequently Asked Questions

No. You are required to furnish the originals or copies certified by the issuing authority bearing the official’s seal and signature. Photocopies certified by a Clerk of Court, Justice of the Peace, solicitor, or notary public are not acceptable.

You may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose.

If you were born abroad, your parents should have registered your birth at a U.S. Embassy or consulate and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship. Records are kept at the Passport Correspondence Office in Washington, DC.