What the U.S. Embassy can and cannot do:

The U.S. Embassy can help:

  • Replace a lost or stolen passport;
  • Contact family, friends, or employers with written permission, in accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974;
  • Provide information to facilitate access to appropriate medical care;
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime;
  • Explain financial assistance options, such as assistance available to return to the United States;
  • Provide information about local points of contact or organizations who discuss relevant host country laws and implementation of those laws;
  • Share contact information about the status of you case in the local criminal justice process in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza, when applicable;
  • Connect you to resources in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza, and U.S.-based resources, for victims of crime; and
  • Provide a list of local lawyers in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza who speak English.

The U.S. Embassy cannot:

  • Investigate crimes;
  • Provide legal advice or represent you in court;
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators; or
  • Pay legal, medical, or other expenses for you.