Abandonment of Legal Permanent Resident status

Beginning July 1, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service  (USCIS) will no longer accept Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status at international field offices by mail or in person.

Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 via mail to:

USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 unit
124 Leroy Road
PO Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

We anticipate that processing times at the Eastern Forms Center, from receipt to completion, will be within 60 days, which does not include mailing time to or from outside of the United States.

Please show the copy of the I-407 to U.S. immigration officials when you arrive in the U.S. and mail a copy to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.  Abandoning your LPR status does not prevent you from immigrating to the U.S. in the future and may not relieve you of U.S. tax obligations.  We advise you to consult with a tax attorney about your tax obligations.  If you wish to immigrate to the U.S. in the future, please contact USCIS.

For additional information, you may visit the USCIS website at https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-will-no-longer-accept-i-407-international-field-offices