Checklist for Your Family-Based Visa Interview

  1. Checklist for Your Family-Based Visa Interview
  2. The Interview
  3. Case Status
  4. After The Interview

Below is a list of documents you are required to bring with you on the day of your immigrant visa interview.  Please review all of them and ensure that you bring the required originals to avoid delays in processing. It is also your responsibility to ensure that the online DS-260 application for each immigrant visa case accurately reflects all these items as well.

As soon as your petition is approved by USCIS and you are notified by NVC of the receipt of your file, you must register with a courier service by visiting the following website:  Registering will allow us to send you the appointment letter and will allow you to track the delivery status of your documents, especially your immigrant visa when issued.  Please note that you will not receive any documentation from our office if you do not register. Registration is not complete until you select a courier (Wassel or Israel Post).

Complete the visa application (Form DS-260) online for each immigrant visa applicant at and print the confirmation page.

If you were born in Jerusalem, indicate the  place of birth on the DS-260 form as “Jerusalem, Jerusalem.”  If you were born in the West Bank, indicate the place of birth “Name of the village/city, West Bank.” For example: if you were born in Deir Debwan,  Deir Debwan, Ramallah, West Bank.

Each immigrant visa applicant should bring his/her current passport on the day of the visa interview. In order to receive a full-validity visa, the passport should have at least eight months remaining validity as of the day of issuance.  Please double-check that the date of birth, place of birth, and spelling of all names on the online DS-260 application and your passport match exactly.  Information that does not match could result in significant delays in the processing of your visa.

Bring your original birth certificate (or a certified copy from the issuing government authority) as well as the original birth certificate (or certified copy) for every person named in the application.  You must also present birth certificates for all of your unmarried children under the age of 21, even if they do not wish to immigrate at this time.  Each birth certificate must state the names of both parents and the date and place of birth.  Please note that the mother’s maiden name, meaning her name prior to marriage, must be accurately listed on the birth certificate of the child.

If you or any person listed on the application legally changed a name, you must submit an original name change certificate for that person.   If any of your children are deceased, please provide the year of death.

If you or any of your children were adopted, bring a certified copy of the final adoption decree.  We will also need an original name change certificate for any individual in the case who has had a name change after or due to an adoption.

If you are married, please bring your original marriage certificate or a certified copy issued by the issuing government authority.  If you have been previously married, you must bring original proof of the legal termination of each previous marriage (e.g., death certificate of spouse, final decree of divorce or annulment). All original documents should be the exact same documents already submitted to NVC for your case.

You are required to obtain a police certificate from the country or countries in which you have lived for six months or more after turning 16 years of age.  These include the country of your nationality and the country of your current residence, as well as any other country in which you have been lived for more than one year or have been arrested for any reason.  If you are unable to obtain a police certificate from a specific country, please contact our staff for advice.

If you are Israeli citizens or Jerusalem ID holders (laissez passer) you may request the Israeli Criminal Information Certificate to be sent directly to U.S. Embassy Jerusalem’s Consular Section by applying at their nearest police station or online at instructions are in Hebrew only).

Former residents of Israel may apply in person at an Israeli consular or diplomatic missions or online using the link above.

All Palestinian ID holders living in the West Bank and Gaza must obtain a Criminal Information Certificate from the Israeli DCO (Civil Liaison Office) in the place of their residence or online at

(Note: instructions are in Hebrew only), as well as a Palestinian Non-Conviction Certificate from the Palestinian Authority Ministry of Justice in the place of their residence.  For more details on how to apply for the Non-Conviction Certificate please visit the Ministry of Justice website at:


If you have ever been arrested, detained, or convicted of a crime, you must obtain the original or a certified copy of each relevant, police, court, or prison record, even if the charges were ultimately dismissed or you were granted amnesty or pardoned.  You must provide a certified English translation of each of these court and prison records.  Please remember to ensure that your online DS-260 application includes each instance of arrest or conviction to avoid lengthy delays in the processing of your application(s).

If you served in the military, please bring your original military discharge or release certificate.

Israelis who served in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) should obtain form 807 from the IDF, which is   granted upon discharge to a soldier from mandatory service.

Israelis who were exempted from military service should bring a military exemption certificate (IDF form 830) or an exemption letter from the Israeli Defense Forces citing the reason why they were exempted.

You may apply for these forms online by visiting the following website: Apply forms

You may also order the forms by calling the IDF on the following number: 03-5691000 or FAX: 03-5699400. If you are not able to obtain IDF form 807, please bring an explanation or documentation from the IDF, in the form of an official letter, regarding your inability to obtain it.

You will need two identical (5 cm x 5 cm, or 2 inch x 2 inch) photographs with a plain, light background taken within the last six months.  The photographs should be taken with the applicant directly facing the camera and without glasses.

Head coverings are permitted; however, the photographs must clearly show the face of the applicant from the crown of the head (hairline) to the tip of the chin and from ear to ear.

For more details on acceptable photographs, also see the following link.

Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms– I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, and I-864W

To establish an applicant will not be a financial burden on the U.S. Government, the person (a petitioner or a Joint Sponsor) sponsoring the applicant must meet minimum income requirements.  In most immigrant visa cases, sponsors will submit the Affidavit of Support form I-864; however, you should review the instructions in the steps below carefully to ensure that you submit the correct Affidavit of Support.

Step 1. Review the General Information and FAQ located at:

Step 2. Review page 1 of the I-864W (, Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption Form, to determine if the petitioner is exempt from the I-864 Affidavit of Support Requirement.  This form is generally applicable when filing for children under the age of 18 (IR-2 cases).  If you do not qualify for the I-864W form, please proceed to the next steps.

Step 3. Download the I-864P ( Poverty Guidelines)

Step 4. Review page 1 of the I-864EZ ( Affidavit of Support Form, to determine if the petitioner is eligible to submit the I-864EZ instead of the I-864.  If you do not qualify for the I-864EZ form, please proceed to the next steps.

Step 5. If neither the I-864W nor the I864EZ apply, the petitioner is required to submit an I-864 Affidavit of Support and possibly an I-864A Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member if applicable..   Follow the instructions of the I-864 to determine if an I-864A is required in your case in addition to the I-864.

Step 6. Complete the appropriate Affidavit of Support form. When completing the forms, please keep in mind:

  • The Department of State prefers that the Affidavit of Support form(s) be completed on your computer using CAPITAL letters.
  • Following the detailed instructions included with each form (I-864W, I-864EZ, I-864, and I-864A) is very important.
  • The sponsor must sign the Affidavit of Support.   ..

Step 7. After completing the form on a computer, print it. The forms cannot be submitted electronically.

Step 8. Review the appropriate checklist to verify that the proper form has been completed correctly.  These checklists are contained at the end of  each Affidavit of Support document..

*Important Notice for Sponsors: The Affidavit of Support forms are not required to be notarized.  By signing an Affidavit for Support the sponsor certifies under penalty of perjury that the information provided and any transcript and/or photocopy of tax documentation is true and correct. You can open the forms using Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free from


You should bring original documents that establish your relationship to the petitioner:

  • If your mother is the petitioner, bring your original birth certificate.
  • If your biological father is the petitioner, bring your original birth certificate as well as the original marriage certificate of your biological parents.
  • If your spouse is the petitioner, bring your original marriage certificate and additional proof of your relationship (photos, letters, emails, etc.).
  • If your brother or sister is the petitioner, bring your original birth certificate and your sibling’s original birth certificate. If your brother or sister is also using their married or a different name for the petition, bring their original marriage certificate or legal evidence of a name change.
  • If your child is the petitioner, bring his/her original birth certificate. If your child is also using their married or a different name for the petition, bring their original marriage certificate or legal evidence of a name change.

These are just examples for purposes of illustration and they are not intended to be a complete list of the types of proof of relationships that you may provide at the interview or the final list of documents that may be required by the consular officer.

In many cases the non-refundable immigrant visa fee has been paid by the petitioner in the United States.  This fee is in addition to the fee required to file the I-130 petition.  If the fee was not paid in the United States, you must pay it to the consular cashier before you will be interviewed by a consular officer.  The immigrant visa fee is $325 U.S. dollars, or the equivalent in Israeli shekels at the current Consulate exchange rate.  This fee is subject to change and based on the Department of State Schedule of Fees.

Payment at the Consulate must be made in cash or with U.S. credit cards.  No bank checks or personal checks will be accepted.

You must schedule a medical exam with an approved physician ONLY after you are scheduled for a visa interview through NVC or U.S. Embassy Jerusalem’s Immigrant Visa Unit.  Instructions on how to schedule a medical exam appointment with one of our panel physicians can be: please hyperlink this site here:

You should provide a certified English translation of all documents that are not in English, Arabic or Hebrew.

Contact us to report a change of address, a change in your personal status (such as a marriage), the death of the petitioner or applicant, or the birth of a child.  Email

Please do not send us any documents unless you are specifically requested to do so. We look forward to seeing you soon.

If you are a Gazan immigrant visa applicant residing in the Gaza Strip and you need to schedule a visa interview or reschedule your original appointment, please email us at

You may also visit the Hyperlink this site for more details on how to schedule an appointment for Gazan applicants.