All visa applicants require an interview appointment, with the exception of applicants who are applying for official visas and Interview Waiver (IW) cases. These include first-time applicants under age 14 or 80 or older, and some applicants applying for renewals. You will be informed of whether you qualify for IW when you fill out your application at the Visa Service website.
Some applicants applying for visa renewal are eligible to apply through IW. This special exemption applies only to applicants who meet ALL of the following qualifications:
- Applicant is applying for a visa in the Consular district of his or her normal residence AND
- Applicant is applying for the same visa class and category as the previous visa, with the same passport type and nationality AND
- Applicant applied for last visa after December 31, 2007, AND
- Applicant was age 14 or older when the previous visa was issued, AND
- Applicant’s visa does not have the words “clearance,” “waiver,” or “blanket” printed on it AND
- The applicant’s current visa is still valid, or it expired less than 12 months ago
These applications may take up to three weeks for processing. In some cases, the Embassy may contact you to schedule an in-person interview with a consular officer.
APPLICANTS UNDER AGE 14 AND AGE 80 OR OVER
Applicants under age 14 and age 80 or older are not required to schedule an interview at the Embassy, regardless of whether they are first time applicants or renewals. Applicants may submit their application together with all supporting documents via the courier service.
APPLYING FOR IW
To begin the IW process, please go to the Visa Services website here and click “Apply.”